Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Parenting is Dangerous

Aaron is having a terrible tantrum. He wants me to put him down, but as soon as I do, he screams and tries to climb up my leg. I pick him up and he struggles to get down. I'm tired. I don't know why he's so grumpy, and at this moment I don't really care. I just want him to stop screaming for five minutes so I can close my eyes for a second before I have to go downstairs and cook supper. I hold him tight hoping that he'll settle into my embrace. He struggles. He throws his head back. The hard part of his head hits the bridge of my nose. It makes a horrible cracking noise, and pain shoots through my entire body. I swear I see lights. I think for a moment that I might have been struck by lightening. My husband runs into the room and looks terrified. I realize that I'm crying and that I can't speak yet. It hurts. A. LOT.

That was yesterday. Today my nose is still very sore. I can't wear glasses at all because I can't stand anything touching the bridge of my nose. I even flinched when putting on makeup because the mineral brush hurt just brushing across my nose. There's a big bump at the top, and it's a bit swollen. I'm pretty sure it's broken, although I don't fully understand how you can break a nose if it's all cartilage. I'll read up on that when I can hold my eyes open long enough. For now, I'm thinking it's time to head to bed.

Oh, and we did find out why poor Aaron is so grumpy. He has an ear infection in both ears. Yes, ear infections again. He had tubes less than 2 months ago, and we're already on our second round of ear infections. Two weeks ago they had to reopen his tubes because they were blocked AND infected. Seriously, this kid can't catch a break. It's no wonder he's so mad he wants to break his mother's nose. And he has a big bump on the back of his head in the shape of my nose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

girl, seriously, go to the doctor! I'll totally watch your children.

R and K Marsh said...

Poor you! (And I concur with Becca that getting your nose checked out isn't the worst idea ever ...)

It's awful when children 'misbehave' and you feel frustrated and more than a little upset at them ... only to realise there was a perfectly rational explanation for their behaviour. Poor Aaron!

Hope everyone is feeling better soon!

Katie