Sunday, April 12, 2009

Oh, the First Trimester

So far, so good, really. I have had two nonconsecutive days of feeling icky, but neither was unbearable. Compared with the last pregnancy, it's already been a million times better. I'm exhausted. Really exhausted. I start to think about going to bed around 3:00 in the afternoon, but obviously that's not reasonable with 3 kids running around. Things taste funny. I don't enjoy chocolate (which is just tragic), and I can't get enough salt (which is REALLY unlike me).

But I haven't told you the weirdest part yet. I have become a weeping mess. It's not really sadness. In fact, it's not sadness at all. It's a combination of happiness, nostalgia and sentimentality, appreciation, awe...I could go on. But mostly hormones. The littlest things make me cry. We're not talking a sobbing cry-fest, but just watery eyes. I am watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition, and it's making me cry. I hear my kids pray, and that makes me cry. I hear a beautiful song, and it makes me cry. I see a Johnson & Johnson commercial, and it makes me cry. Don't laugh. Those "having a baby changes everything" commercials? Whew--an emotional roller coaster wrapped up in 60 seconds.

I remind myself that this is the last (insert any pregnancy/baby milestone here), and I try to appreciate it and savor the moment. Sometimes it makes me cry. Sometimes it makes me smile. But it always makes me need a nap.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm watching Extreme also and i'm crying. I can't wait to see you all. We need to set a date. A lot of things are changing around here. Lets set a date.

Also, I think your having a girl. Everyone i know that craved salt had a girl.

Samantha