Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Have Wet Bag. Will Travel.

My husband says we've become hippies. He's referring to this:


That's Aaron in a cloth diaper. Is it the cutest thing you've ever seen? I decided to buy a couple of cloth diapers and give it a trial run. I love it. I ordered 16 more. Want another peek?

Okay, that's some serious bedhead, but how cute is that bright red caboose?

The first time I changed a dirty diaper, I had a little panic. I was pretty sure this was all a big mistake. But now I've gotten the hang of it, and I am in love. It's easy. And they are SO cute.

So, the big question is WHY, OH WHY would you choose to do this when there are great disposables out there? Oh, thanks for asking. First, there are health benefits. Disposables contain Dioxin, Tributyl-tin, and sodium polyacrylate. These have been linked to cancer, hormonal problems, and toxicity (respectively). Also, boys who wear disposables are at risk for reproductive problems. Then there's the cost factor. Disposables save money, no doubt about it (although if you become a diaper addict, as I fear I might, the cost savings is harder to see!) And, of course, cloth diapering is much greener.

I had intended to ease into this. I would start putting Aaron in cloth while we were at home, but keep using disposables while we were out. But now that I'm spoiled to cloth, I just can't stand to put a rough, toxic disposable on him. He wore cloth to church on Sunday, and the nursery worker (bless her) didn't complain a bit.

Last week we made a trip to Chattanooga to visit Daddy. I packed a bag full of cloth diapers, a couple extra sets of clothes (I haven't quite figured out how to tell when the diapers are wet yet!), and my brand new (and very cute) wet bag. I really thought about packing a box of disposables, just in case, but I thought better of it. We did great. I considered our first road trip in cloth diapers to be our official crossover to a cloth diapering family.

...Or hippies, as Mike would say.

3 comments:

R and K Marsh said...

That is indeed the cutest bright red caboose I've ever seen!

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I love it!!

Steph

designHER Momma said...

I'm pregnant with my 3rd and I'm seriously considering it. I love me some big bubble butt on baby...too cute!